What does sEMG stand for?
sEMG stand for the surface Electromyography. sEMG is a device that measures the amount of electrical activity your muscles release when they are contracting, more commonly know as muscle tension.
Why is muscle activity important?
Muscles have a tendency to "brace" in response to spinal misalignments known as Vertebral Subluxations. These Subluxations create nerve interference which affects muscles, blood vessels, and internal organs.
The test measures how much energy is needed to maintain your posture and how it is distributed throughout the muscles. Over time, daily stresses can continue to overwork these muscles, causing them to lose their support and mobility. Muscle fatigue and poor energy distribution are signs of a person's entire health being under stress.
How does this relate to chiropractic?
Vertebral Subluxations reduce your body's ability to maintain optimal health. When Vertebral Subluxations are present, the nervous system is negatively affected resulting in increases or decreases in muscle activity. The sEMG shows the muscular component of the Vertebral Subluxation Complex.
How do chiropractic adjustments affect my sEMG?
The chiropractic adjustment has many positive benefits to your nervous system. In most cases, the sEMG normalizes and balances.
What is Thermography?
This is a scan used to asses the part of your nervous system that helps to control your organs, glands, and blood vessels. The autonomic nervous system works alongside the spinal nerves to regulate your immunity while managing your internal organ functions. This instrument does this by precisely measuring differences in temperature along the spine.
Temperature is an accurate indicator as to where stress is building up and how deeply it affects bodily functions. Each organ system relies on clear and balanced nerve signals to work properly.
Why does Dr. McAfee use computerized spinal examination such as sEMG and Thermography?
At a modern chiropractic office, such as Sylvan Family Chiropractic, you Doctor is committed to using the highest quality research and clinical grade instrumentation available for the purpose of detecting and correcting the Vertebral Subluxations. A Doctor of Chiropractic also knows the importance of gathering objective; scientific data to better understand how well you body's nervous system is functioning. As Doctors of Chiropractic our greatest concerns are clearing you of subluxation for the purpose of maintaining optimal health.
Heart Rate Variability Testing
We at Sylvan Family Chiropractic provide Heart Rate Variability (HRV) testing in order to access and monitor the health and activity of the autonomic nervous system.
The autonomic nervous system (ANS) has two main divisions:
- The Sympathetic portion: This is the energy boosting division with controls the "fight or flight" reaction. It increases blood pressure, blood sugar, heart rate and blood flow to the muscles.
- The Para-Sympathetic portion: this is the "restful" or "energy conserving" division. It enhances digestion, elimination, repair and rejuvenation.
In response to various interval and external stimuli, a person experiences a continuous interplay of these two main ANS forces.
Why should I get an HRV assessment?
- Many experts agree that chronic stress is the cause of most illness. The HRV analysis is an objective way to measure how much stress your body is under.
- This is testing your Heart Rate Variability, which indicates whether or not your body is adapting to life stress well. It is not testing how healthy your heart is! It is actually looking at the timing of your pulse, which tells us whether or not you body is in a stressed state. And your nervous system controls all of this!
- If you are under a lot of stress (physical, chemical, emotional) and/or you do not have a healthy lifestyle, then you will have a high variation in your heart beat to beat intervals. This is what the HRV test is looking for and it is a strong indicator for general health.
- KEY POINT: Published research has shown that chiropractic adjustments improve HRV! Therefore adjustments decrease stress in the body and prevent pain and disease!